Outstanding Student Achievements
Haileybury’s student performance in 2014 was outstanding and we look forward to pushing the students to again achieve exceptional results this year.
Haileybury’s Median Australian Tertiary Admissions Ranking (ATAR) was 88 with 46% of students attaining an ATAR of 90 or above. This was clearly the highest result of any of Haileybury’s direct competitor schools and of course was in the top rank for schools in Victoria.
The result of this and the fact that 89% of students obtained an ATAR of 60 or above is that most students have been offered positions in the university course of their choice. There are five international university ranking systems and they all have the University of Melbourne and Monash University as the top two universities in Victoria. Melbourne is consistently in the top 50 in the world and Monash in the top 100 in the world.
The top two university choices for Haileybury students were once again the University of Melbourne and Monash University. Of the girls, 37% chose Monash and 27% the University of Melbourne. For the boys, the figures were 46% Monash and 18% the University of Melbourne. The combined total of 64% relates closely to the 67% of students who attained an ATAR over 80. RMIT University (15% of students) and Deakin University (9% of students) were also popular choices.
Haileybury does encourage students to look widely at universities and think about options interstate and overseas. We are delighted that Nicholas Mroczkowski has been accepted into St Hilda's College at Oxford University. Nicholas achieved an exceptional ATAR of 99.3 and attended an interview at Oxford to obtain his position. Oxford was ranked three in the world by The Times Higher Education World University Rankings.
We were also very pleased with the performance of the partner schools in China where the VCE was delivered. The Median ATAR of the 200 students was a quite remarkable 84. Most of these students have been offered places at Australian universities, which is great for the universities, for the economy and for the future of Australia-China relations.
As always, the Haileybury year will be full of many events. We are excited to be holding a special Lunar New Year Festival this year to celebrate the Year of the Goat. This will be a major celebration on Friday, 27 February, at Keysborough. I hope you will be able to attend.