School Holiday Fun!
School holidays are a great way for families to explore all the amazing attractions on offer in and around Melbourne.
For those planning to stay local, we’ve compiled a list of fun and creative activities families can enjoy in person again—in some cases for the first time in 12 months!
Out and About in Melbourne
Melbourne is known for its wonderful range of family-friendly things to do and see. Since the loosening of COVID-19 restrictions, most are open to the public again and some are free or involve minimal cost.
You can also check your local council website for more activities in your area, including library story time sessions.
Top 10 Holiday Activities in and Around Melbourne
- Zoos Victoria (Melbourne Zoo, Healesville Sanctuary, Werribee Open Range Zoo) never fails to impress.
- Museums Victoria offers affordable and educational programs and activities.
- NGV Kids has an extensive range of art-themed activities and events.
- The Royal Botanic Gardens in the city and Cranbourne are always popular.
- AFL games have crowds again at the MCG and Marvel Stadium . The MCG also houses the Australian Sports Museum and hosts MCG tours.
- The free City Circle tram showcases the city and passes the Queen Victoria Market.
- Puffing Billy is back on track. Train buffs may also enjoy the Newport Railway Museum.
- Gasworks has interesting holiday activities such as fencing, lightsabers, painting, music, and comedy.
- The National Trust runs The Old Melbourne Gaol, historic buildings and Polly Woodside tall ship and museum.
- Melbourne has countless parks and playgrounds to explore. Parks Victoria’s Junior Rangers program offers many outdoor opportunities.
Keeping Busy at Home
After a busy school term, relaxing at home might also be a priority. In that case, a little creativity and imagination can go a long way.
The coronavirus pandemic has seen governments, cultural institutions and families develop even more ways to have fun together at home.
Many cultural institutions also offer online educational activities that are a great way to spend time as a family during the holidays, or to set the kids up to entertain themselves.
Here are a few to get you started.
- Melbourne Museum at home
- Scienceworks at Home
- Australian Museum online
- Zoos Victoria at home
- Shrine of Remembrance Melbourne
- State Library of Victoria
- National Gallery of Australia
- National Gallery of Victoria stop-motion animation app
- Heide Museum of Modern Art
- Royal Botanic Gardens Victoria 50 things for kids to do
Whatever you decide to try over the break, we hope you have a fabulous and memorable time together.